Monday, June 6, 2011

Life in a Clown Car



So ....our club was doing a supported entry at the weekend of shows in Wrenthem, MA this past weekend. We wanted to get puppy Bonnie out more and also entered Traveler, and Fiona. Well Fee just finished her championship at the shows in Scarborough, so I had to move her up from the Open class to the Best of Breed class.(that was fun) Three dogs to get ready- no problem. 10 year old Maddie had to come also, she is NOT good at watching the house while we are gone. She leaves the lights on, eats all the food and sometimes has a party, so that was that.
Did I mention I am working on two trophy orders that have to be shipped last week?And the on-going things that need to be done for the National? No problem.
Work on orders, work on dogs, start sorting out what is going and what is really not needed. Bathe 3 dogs, dry them,repack the grooming supplies, oh yeah, pack my clothes , get show clothes ready....you get the idea.I did remember I was making trophies( it was 2 days before we left, but I DID remember) and I had to cook bait(Trav's favorite...sauteed chicken with lemon pepper and garlic)
Friday arrives...load up,everyone in the van. Thankfully traffic was not bad , even through Boston and we made good time. We stopped at the show site to set up our tables and ex-pen and then it was off to the motel.
Pat and I each have 2 dogs, but they all want to walk together and have been cooped up, and they start criss-crossing us and each other and we end up going through the lobby like the circus has arrived. This place has an elevator( and a staircase you can go out of, but not get into to!) so easing all 4 dogs in was a treat. The phrase of the weekend- 'Beardie tails in!".
Maddie took a few hours adjusting to the room, Bonnie not so long. Jumping from bed to bed was her way of adjusting[lol] Everyone settled in early and off to sleep we went-not. Bonnie needed to alert us every time she heard a sound. Finally got her to understand it was fine, fell asleep, woke up a few hours later to Maddie trembling on the bed! I just rubbed her with my foot and tried to get back to sleep.Morning arrived much sooner than I would have liked.
Getting everyone out tot he van, we again looked like the entertainment, but we are used to that. We got to the show, set the rest of the stuff up and I started to groom 3 dogs. OK, not at once, when I can figure that out I will let you know!
Thankfully Lesley Woodcock and Sue Ross arrived to save the day and took Bonnie for her brush out. Everyone ready!Bonnie got distracted by things outside the ring, but managed to do "ok" . Her half sister Willow won WB and did a fabulous job! Then I had to quickly hand Bonnie off and grab Fiona for the BOB class...whew! Made it. Traveler and Fiona entered with the other dogs and off we were again. Fiona took BEST Opposite to her Uncle Roy. Trav did ok, but as I say, got a rock[lol] Now we could visit and hang out for the rest of the day......
We all managed to a good night's sleep back at the motel and after packing and loading(yes the circus made it's way through the lobby again) we were off for the final day of showing. I walked Bonnie around the grounds for a while, letting her get used to all the noise and smells. Back on the table for everyone(and again thanks to Aunties Lesley and Sue who took Trav and did a wonderful job on him) and we all go again. This time Bonnie did better and managed to take Reserve to sister Willow. It was a repeat in the BOB class too, as Fiona got BOS to her uncle Roy and got a start on her Grand Champion points. Don't ask me to explain those, I think I need to go back to school to figure it out.
We packed up the car, loaded the dogs in, hugged our friends and headed home. The traffic was light and we made excellent time getting home. The dogs were so glad to see their yard when they got home. We didn't need to put them on leads to get them in, just opened the crates and out they flew into the yard[LOL]
It's not easy taking all 4 with us, and after a while, Maddie enjoys being out with the whole family. She took up residence on one of the motel beds, and hung at the show like she did it every day. I wouldn't want to do it all the time, but once in a while living in a clown car is ok.....although...I have been looking at those RV'S at the shows-hmmmmmm.

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes, been there and done that with the Horde. At the 2009 Cardi Natl. I wasn't feeling well so a friend took Sam, Ginny & Moira for a walk. My friend was relatively new to the circus that is a National Specialty so when someone stopped her and said, "That's the Horde but you're not Dina," she wasn't really sure how to react. With Sam getting on in years I rarely take him along to events any more but when I do he has to announce to EVERYONE that he's in the building. Which means that Ginny & Moira chime in too. Circus doesn't even begin to describe it.

    ReplyDelete